Did you know that April is Stress Awareness Month? Do you realize that your stress shows up in your videos? When it shows that you are stressed and uncomfortable your video blog will not be as fun to watch. It will make your watchers uncomfortable. It is best to get rid of your stress altogether, but that’s not always easy. Here are some ideas that might help you hide the stress.
1. Breathe. You might be thinking, “Of course I’m breathing.” I hope you aren’t holding your breath. I’m referring to slow, deep breaths to relax you. And also to consciously breathing between sentences while you are recording. Don’t be afraid of a bit of quiet.
2. Move. Before you push record do some simple head rolls and stretches to relax your muscles. If you usually use your hands while talking do so during the video blog – just make sure you don’t get too wild with them. Moving signals your body to relax. You could even squeeze a stress ball or tap your toe out of the camera’s view to stop your body from being totally tense and stiff.
3. Smile. Even a forced smile relaxes your facial muscles a bit, and soon a real smile will come through. We do it often in real life when meeting a new person. [at least I hope you do] We smile to make them feel more relaxed. The camera won’t bite, honest!
4. Practice. Talk through what you want to say so you have an idea of how to transition, close, etc. It will show that you are comfortable with your information. It does help to keep your mind on what you are talking about and not everything else you have to get done.
5. Time it well. There are times in each day when you are alert and ready to go and times when you are worn out. Pick a good time of day to record your video blog. If you can’t do it in your high energy times at least take a short break and re-energize your batteries before recording.
6. Limit yourself. Don’t let yourself record over and over and over again. That really won’t help your stress level. If you have to record in one take, because you don’t know how to edit, make your video short so you can do it and be done.
7. Accept that it won’t be perfect. You’ve got to start somewhere. With practice you will get better, and happier with your results; but you have to do it. Just vlog it!
I hope you can use these to relax and let your personality shine through. Did I miss a great tip? What do you do to lower your stress level? I’d love to hear your comments!