The length of an online video is often a struggle. Three minutes is an optimal time for an online video; five minutes is okay if the content is really good.
Here are 7 ways to trim your video:
- Cut the introduction.
- Make the title and credits over a clip instead of having their own slide.
- Cut any excuses and apologies – get right to the point.
- Get someone else to watch it and give suggestions of what is extra.
- Only leave in what is essential for telling the story. Remember that the general viewing audience is not going to be as interested in watching your children as you and their grandparents are.
- Cut any “traveling time.” You usually don’t have to show the whole walk for viewers to understand; just the beginning and end.
- Really try to look at it from a stranger’s point of view. Sometimes it helps to walk away, then come back and watch it again. Take out everything you think is unnecessary then take out even more.
Remember that a couple seconds can make a difference. Anything I missed? What is the easiest way for you to make your video shorter?